ASTM A285 standard is for carbon steel, low and intermediate tensile strength steel plates intended for fusion-welded pressure vessels.
The steel plate under ASTM A285 ranges in three grades, A, B and C, most common use is ASTM A285 Grade C plates. Which shall be made by killed, semi-killed, capped or rimmed steel practices at manufacturer's option.
For killed carbon steels only refer to below ASTM specifications.
- A 299/A 299M: Carbon steel manganese silicon pressure vessel plates.
- A 515/A 515M: Carbon steel for intermediate and higher temperature services of pressure vessel plates.
- A516/A516M: Carbon steel for moderate and lower temperature pressure vessel plates.
Maximum thickness of plates is limited to 50 mm [2 inch] for all grades.
- A20/A20M: General requirements for steel plates for pressure vessels.
General Requirements and Ordering Information:
- Testing and retesting methods, procedures, dimension tolerance, mass, quality and repair defects, marking, loading and ordering information shall comply with A20/A20M.
- In additional to basic requirements, certain supplementary requirements are available.
- Coils are excluded from A285 until they have been cutted to plate.
ASTM A285 Grade C Steel Plate Data Sheet
Yield strength, minA
Elongation in 8 in. or [200 mm], min, %B
Elongation in 2 in. or [50 mm], min, %B
A Determined by either the 0.2% offset method or the 0.5% extension under load method.
B See Specification A20/A20M for elongation adjustment.
Our Supply Range:
Description: Carbon Steel ASTM A285 Grade C & B & A
Manufacturing Types: Hot Rolled
Thickness: 2 to 150 mm
Width: 0.6m to 3m
Length: 6m, 12m, customized
Surface: Natural, Painted
Packing: Standard sea packing, bundled with streel strip.